Work in Canada
Canada’s diverse economy is a lure to both foreign investment and international graduates searching for work…
Job market in Canada
As a nation Canada is one of the richest in the world. This is in no small part to the ongoing trade agreements with the neighbouring US and Mexico.
Thriving metropolitan areas include Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton and the capital city Ottawa.
Some the key sectors in the country include:
• Manufacturing – the world’s sixth largest exporter of road vehicles, Canada’s automotive industry has an annual revenue of $71billion. The aerospace industry is also important, providing companies such as Boeing and Airbus with parts.
• Finance – Canada has five banks listed in The World’s Strongest Banks article by Bloomberg, including the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce in third place. In 2011, the Canadian banking system was rated the soundest in the world by the World Economic Forum.
• IT – Each of the world’s ten largest software companies, such as Microsoft and IBM, all have workforces in Canada. The country is also considered a world leader in mobile-software development.
Other active industries include food, logging, oil and renewable energy.
Start your search for work in Canada at:
• Monster – Canada
• Jobs – Canada
• Working in Canada – Job Search
Work experience and internships in Canada
Completing a work placement or internship can be an excellent way to get into a permanent role and prove your skills to a prospective employer. Helpful websites include:
• AIESEC (Association Internationale des Etudiants en Sciences Economiques et Commerciales) – a student-run organisation present in more than 113 countries, AIESEC offers internship opportunities in Canada.
• BUNAC’s Work Canada – This programme is aimed at British passport holders aged 18-30, wanting to work in the country for up to 12 months.
To qualify for work experience or an internship you will still need to secure a relevant work permit and visa (see Canadian visas and immigration below).
Volunteering in Canada
Volunteer Canada is the national body for volunteering in the country. This is the place to start when searching for opportunities and to learn more about why volunteering is important.
Canadian visas and immigration
For those looking to work temporarily in Canada, a work permit must be awarded. Although it’s possible to apply for a work permit after you arrive in Canada, it’s recommended that you obtain one before entering the country.
If you are thinking of immigrating to Canada then you must meet certain criteria based on a points system. Factors include:
• arranged employment;
• education and qualifications;
• language skills (English and or/French);
and work experience.
Applications for permanent residency can be processed if you:
• have an offer of employment;
• are a foreign national living in Canada for one year as a worker or student;
• are a skilled worker with at least one year’s work experience.
Rules can change without warning, so if you’re serious about moving to the country then it’s worth consulting with your local Canadian embassy to find out more.
My name is Anand Chauhan. I was also a normal student who was just preparing for medical universities in India.
I Preethi Chauhan came to know about Education Poland from the Director of my previous Institution. They provide us scholarship in the one of the best university in Poland.